Thursday, May 14, 2009

I guess I didn't say much about my vacation. It feels like it was months ago right now, but since it's fun to go back and remember, I will.

There's something I noticed around the Longmont area that's different from here. I've traveled from Georgia to Alabama a lot in the past 10 years. My parents retired there and I go there quite a bit. Rural Alabama and Georgia are impoverished. There are pockets of well heeled areas - rolling hills and green pastures. Then there are broken down cars and buses in yards, and overgrown yards and other evidence of neglect.

By contrast, as I rode around Longmont, I didn't see much of that. I'm not naive. I know everywhere has such issues. But as I drove, as I walked, I had a refreshing experience. The roads were straight. Lines were clean. Farms were tended. And green.

But I will mention something to local residents. Perhaps you can take this up with the city council or something. There's a real lack of informational signs in your fair city.

Don't take it personally. I don't think there are enough informational signs in the state, period.

But seriously, Georgia? They're everywhere. Comforting brown signs with white lettering. They tell you what's coming up. They tell you where the points of interest are located. They tell you when to turn so you don't miss them. They have arrows on them even.

It's a good thing. Just think about it, okay? Just saying.
More later...
-Laura

No comments: