Thursday, May 7, 2009

Filling the Bucket List #1

We all know the reference to the bucket list -- a list of things to do before you kick the bucket. I suppose it seems like I'm getting a bit morose here, so soon after my great aunt died. You're just going to need to trust me. My bucket list is a coincidence.

As long as I lived in Colorado, I wanted to go to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. Not just to hear the music, but to camp out there; to see and be a part of the entire experience. Come on, think about it. I mean this year guess who's going to be there? You've got David Byrne. You've got Emmylou Harris, and the "King of Newgrass," Sam Bush. Though they are considered Nederland locals, the Yonder Mountain String Band is so well regarded that people familiar with bluegrass just call them YMSB. Kids, Elvis Costello is bringing an all-star bluegrass band; Bela Fleck will be there with his banjo. Kasey Chambers will be there. Tim O'Brien will be there. Jerry Douglas will be there too. I mean look:

“I loved the vibe of playing the festival...so eclectic, tribal and such a wild celebration. It's like the whole town is one big partying tribe, and in one of the most stunning settings you could imagine.”
—Bonnie Raitt


WHO IS GOING TO ARGUE WITH BONNIE RAITT?!?

But enough of that. The point of the story is that when I lived there, I always wanted to go. I wanted to set up a tent. I wanted to cook on an open flame. I wanted to know for myself which artists sounded good live and which ones didn't. I wanted to stare at the mountains and soak it all in.

A couple things stood in my way. First, I owned no camping equipment, and hadn't been camping since I was about 4 years old, when my shining moment was tumping the portable toilet over in the tent. Okay, so if my camping skills were a little sparse, it didn't mean I couldn't do it, right? Involve someone else who could show me the ropes? Sure I could. But there was the second problem. I was cheap (not necessarily a bad thing), and I was poor (also not necessarily a bad thing) which were both big obstacles to buying the ticket for the 4-day event. And the thing is, the ticket is still less than $200 to this day. Considering what my friend recently paid to see Celine Dion, that's a great price. But I didn't have the money. I was eating carrot sandwiches. I couldn't do Telluride.

This year, I have a terrible urge to go to Telluride. I can afford it too. I even have a travel coupon and access to buddy passes. No camping equipment, but you'd be surprised how many hotels there are in Colorado. I have people at work who'd cover for me. I have a great place to board the dogs.

I should do it, right?

I really want to. Still, I have to admit, there's still this pull of the camping equipment. And where is mine? Where would I get some to haul through an airport? I think what I'm missing is what I wanted back when I lived there. I wanted to go there with friends and experience the full scene. If I went this year I'd be going alone.

So I think this is something to add to my Bucket List for next year. Not just to go, but to sleep in a tent, to cook (even with propane, since charcoal isn't allowed!) and to enjoy the experience with friends. And the best part? My ride home won't be through six states. Instead, I will load up Pearly Lee, decide if I want to take the road through Montrose, Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs, or the stretch through Gunnison, Leadville and Breckinridge. And I will know which one I prefer because I've visited all those cities and driven all those roads. I will speak like a native when I give directions to people I've met at the concert.

And as the sun sets on the Monday night after the concert, I will be driving up I-25, headed north, all the windows down, with a bandana keeping my hair out of my face. And while driving with friends, we will have something great on Pearly Lee's CD player, or better yet, we will have one of those fascinating, get-to-know-you or let's-catch-up conversations you replay and remember forever. And when I get off exit 240, I will be nearly home.

You'll have to wait a while for the blog entry on that one, and the pictures. Stay tuned, for June 2010. I can't wait.

--Laura

No comments: